Wednesday, February 27, 2013

An adventure in France

Bonjour from France!
 
 
I'm in Toulouse right now. This was a really, really last minute trip. My husband had to come here on business and only got confirmation about the trip on Monday afternoon to travel the next morning.
 
Luckily, I was able to come with him this time :) It's a really nice place and very easy to move around on foot so I'm discovering it bit by bit. I've been walking all day, so I've come back to the hotel to sit down for a bit and I couldn't wait to share some of my photos with you!
 
It snowed at the weekend here and when we arrived there was a little bit of snow left:
 
 
 
That was my first sight of snow so far this Winter!
 
Before we caught the plane we enjoyed a breakfast of champions at the airport....
 
...McDonalds! It was the first time in my life that I had breakfast at McDonalds. As unhealthy as that is, it was a lovely way to start to the day :)
 
Yesterday we did some sightseeing. This is the Pont Neuf:
 
 
It's a beautiful bridge that was opened in 1659 and crosses the Garonne River which runs right through the centre of Toulouse.
 
After walking around, we stopped for lunch at a place called L'entrecote
 
 
My husband has visited here before and couldn't wait to take me. I wasn't disappointed either!
It's the first restaurant I have ever been to where there isn't a menu, they have just one started and one main course there.
 
They take you to your table, ask you what you want to drink and how you like your meat cooked and that's it!
 
The first course is salad with walnuts and a vingrette:
 
 
And the main course is steak with a sauce and fries.

 
 
The photo really doesn't do it justice because the food was amazing!
It was all delicious and cooked to perfection. We don't normally drink alcohol but we had some Bordeaux wine to accompany the steak and that was delicious too.
 
Now, I've saved the best until last. When I found out I was coming to Toulouse, the first thing I did was search for...yarn shops! I know, I know, I should have read tour guides and things like that, but I've got my priorities (or vices maybe?) in order!
 
I did stop and wonder if my French was good enough to go yarn shopping, but I'm fairly sure I could buy yarn in any language :)
 
I read about a shop called La droguerie which is close to the main square and sounded lovely.
I found it this morning and I loved it! It was like an Aladdin's cave of yarn. There were huge skeins of yarn in all colours hanging on the walls. All of the yarns are mainly natural fibres (wool, alpaca, mohair) and I decided to have 3 different pink tones of 100% wool.
 
 
Something lovely here is that you ask for the yarn that you want and then the sales assistant winds it into balls with a swift and skein winder in front of you!
 
It really was lovely to be in such a nice shop with so many beautiful things and to see the yarn that I had chosen be wound into  balls.
 
I also bought this button:
 
 
 
The colours in the photos don't show it but the button perfectly matches one of the colours of yarn and I'm planning on making myself a cowl and decorating  it with the button as my reminder of Toulouse :)
 
I'll post more photos of our trip soon!
 
Have a lovely Wednesday.
 
xx
 
 

18 comments:

  1. O my, may I say that I am a wee bit envious of your perfectly divine day ... that dinner, sounds heavenly ... then the yarn store. And IN FRANCE of all places, just everything is so yummy sounding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy yourself !
    Et à bientôt !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nothing more than taking trips on the spur of the moment, lucky girl (I see you in the restaurant photo, too!). The bridge is breathtaking...I love old bridges. The food looks delicious - that's quite a pile of fries - I would love French Fries in France, I think! Can't wait to see what you make with the beautiful shades of those pink yarns - great choice...and, I absolutely ADORE poppies - this button you picked up ROCKS, Elisabeth! Sounds like you've got the perfect project planned for it - SAFE TRAVELS, my friend - XOXO Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time, last minute things often turn out to be great I find... We went to France (south) on holiday last year and have plans to go back, we all loved it so much. Lovely yarn and enjoy the rest of your trip.
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on a european vacation last year, but in France we only went to Monaco and Monte Carlo, I am bad with geography, I hope those were in France!;-) I loved Spain and Italy the best! I love MCDs cheeseburgers!! But I only allow myself one per month!! with a large fry of course! I would love a restaurant where I don't have to choose, just feed me, I eat anything! Love the button you got too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about your trip and nice photos. Your yarn is lovely and the button is very cute !:) enjoy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trip! I've always wanted to have breakfast in McDonalds but never got there early enough...I once did a weeks backpacking trip round France and each evening meal was a McDs! Great memories!
    The yarn shop sounds fab and what amazing colours you chose - the poppy button is spectacular - great idea to create a homemeade reminder of your trip!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog. La Droguerie is certainly an experience to be savoured. I loved the old fashionedness of it all, but would imagine that it can get frustrating if you are in a hurry. I loved all the buttons and ribbons too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The button looks really beautiful! I'm sure it will be lovely on your cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a lovely, impromptu trip. I've been to a restaurant like that in Paris. I remember that after the meal, the other diners all said goodbye to us as we left! I love that poppy button. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh what beautiful yarn and gorgeous button. I am so glad you have gotten away and are having some fun.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Elisabeth!
    Oh thank you so much for taking us along to France!!!
    Indeed the place seems to be cozy and beautiful! I think you did just a perfect shopping there! Love the button :)
    Have a nice stay there! Enjoy!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a wonderful trip. The button is the perfect reminder of a good time.

    I have to say ... I never really thought of Paris having SNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such lovely photos! Thank you for sharing. I'm your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely surprise and France too. Love France and spent two holidays there last year. One in the Dordogne area and the other in the Provence, Avignon. You sound as though you're having a wonderful time. Love that yarn and the button looks excellent. Enjoy
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you are having a lovely trip, Elisabeth :)
    The yarn shop sounds great, and that yarn is so beautiful, love the colours.
    Enjoy the rest of your stay, and have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow lucky you! What a treat to find such a lovely yarn shop! Great photos.... Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...