Friday, February 22, 2013

Granny....bath mat!

I've finally finished the never-ending granny square project! I started this back at the beginning of December and there's no reason for it have taken 3 months to finish.
 
Anyway, the grannies have decided to be a....
 
 
...bath mat!
 
I was originally going to make this into a blanket but I was running out of the yellow yarn so I decided it would be perfect as a bath mat. It's 100% cotton so I'm hoping it will be comfy to stand on and won't slip too much.
 
 
 
I'm definitely considering this project as a success because even my husband likes it :)
 
There are 24 grannies in total. I sewed them together length ways using slip stitches and width ways single crochet to give a slightly raised, 3D effect. The border is reverse single crochet. The reverse single crochet is a really simple stitch once you get the hang of it and creates an interesting corded edge.
 
The ends were a nightmare to weave in - there were so many! It had been sitting in my wip bag for so long mainly because I wanted to avoid all of the sewing in of ends!
 
 
I've got two and a bit balls of the pink cotton left over (about 120g) so I think I'm going to try and make a summer bag with that.
 
I really am getting on with my stash busting now!




 

18 comments:

  1. The grannies made a great choice - I love this, too! The pink and yellow are fabulous together. Happy Friday, for sure - this ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bath mat looks very attractive!:) I loved the picture of it on the wooden floor more than in bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's lovely and worth all the sewing in of ends, sew as you go is my motto, looking forward to seeing the bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to make the granny squares into a bath mat! It looks very pretty, I love the colours you chose for it :)

    Wishing you a happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, looks so beautiful!! ♥ If it will turn out too slippery on the bathroom floor, maybe you can add some fluffled up anti-gliding points on the back, just as one can draw under socks? I don't know the right word for this pens. In Germany they are called "Plusterpen" or "Plusterstift" and available in the art supplies shop. Also there's something from Regia, called "Regia abs-latex". If you like, type these definitions in google picture search, so you can see what I mean. Maybe this would work not only for socks but also for a bath mat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is very beautiful, congratulations for your work. kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! So colourful and what a fabulous idea for the cotton squares - I must remember to try reverse single crochet some time.
    You have brightened my day!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very fun and colorful. I love it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea - it's fab!
    Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colors, your husband is happy, and life is good! Good job!!

      Delete
  10. It has been years since I've made grannies but I think I could remember how. They are fun and with so many color combination choices the results can be anything. Your bath mat looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mat looks nice! It brightens up the bathroom :) Good job, it's okay to take time to accomplish something nice :)
    Have a nice weekend!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Elisabeth - hope you don't mind but I've just nominated you for the Liebster Award over on my blog - pop over for details x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice...
    And useful...
    Have a nice weekend.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out perfect!
    Sometimes I say even if it takes long to a project it is the "journey " not just the destination that we should enjoy, right?
    It looks great!
    Thanks for all your comments and visits on my blog:)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! It makes a change from the usual plain or striped mats that can be bought. I will definitely put this on my list of to do's. Thanks for your visit to my blog. From your newest follower. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks beautiful, and 100% cotton is a good choice for a bathmat. Perhaps I should make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a pretty bathmat, with its graphic design and bright colours. I have a crochet hook and a book that claims it will teach me how to use it. We'll see!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...