Friday, November 29, 2013

Cookies, coasters and cushions

Yesterday it snowed for the first time in Madrid this season. It's feeling very festive and I love to wrap up warm in crochet and winter boots and go for walks in the evening.
 
Yesterday we stopped by a bakery that sells the most delicious, home made cakes and bought some Christmas cookies.
 
 
 
When it's cold out there is nothing nicer than being at home with a cup of something hot and some sweet treats :)
 
 
 
Can you see the coaster under my mug of coffee?
 
It was one my mom made for me a while ago:
 
 
 
It's so pretty. She had a hard time following the pattern but I think it was worth the effort. It is shaped like a lily and she made it in the colours of the Spanish flag especially for us!
 
~
 
I'm not a big magazine reader...apart from crochet ones of course :) But my mom reads a lot and often cuts things out of them for me.
 
A while back she gave me this cut out:
 
 
 
 
It is a step by step guide to making a pin cushion.
 
I've seen a few of these on craft blogs that I visit and always thought how pretty they were so I just had to give it a go!
 
I got the materials together :
 
 
 
 
Technically this is an upcycling project because the fabric I used it from an old t shirt. I have a new craft related addition to add to the ever growing list
 
1. Yarn
2. Hooks
3. Buttons
4. Beads
5. Fabric
 
and now
 
6. a huge stash of old clothes
 
I look at them and think that the fabric would be great for an upcyling project so I put them to one side and now I have a huge  mountain of old clothes!
 
I told my dad about this and he added to my stash with 47 of his old silk ties! 47!!! They are really nice and I want to use them for something specially so I am searching pinterest for a great idea to use them with.
 
Anyway, back to the pin cushion....
 
The pattern called for a perfect circle and I am terrible at drawing on fabric so I came up with a solution:
 
 
 
 
I used a huge mug as the template!
 
 
Sewed the pieces together with my machine and then by hand added some purple thread to finish it off:
 
 
 
 
Have a lovely weekend everyone!
 
x

19 comments:

  1. Eliza I REALLY love your new pincushion. Its fab! Ive got one just like it on my Christmas making list for my sis in law. The colours you used are so cute that I could nearly eat it!
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love upcycling projects. I saw a skirt once that had been made from ties simply sewn together lengthwise. I'm sure you will manage something spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow snow already!! Yes couldn't agree more that a biccie and a cuppa indoors when it is cold is just what the doctor ordered. I really love the very pretty and detailed coaster you mother made, I am also not at all surprised that she struggled with the pattern, it looks pretty fiddly. I am sure you love using it and it is something from your Mum, so special. Well done for making that pincushion, I made a similar one from Helen Phillips's book a few months ago and I never really thought that it looked like a shell, isn't it amazing what difference a bit of styling can make to the way we perceive things. Enjoy your weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just tried to find your email address, can you email me at stiana.hubert4@gmail.com so I can send you my address. Can you tell that I am excited??!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post...and nice pincushion !
    Have a great weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pincushion is lovely and so is the coaster that your Mum made for you - how nice that you have something so pretty to put under your cuppa!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an intricate coaster your Mum made you - I think I would have been thoroughly confused with that pattern; and I love your pin cushion Elisabeth, it is so sweet - and now I'm wondering too what you'll do with 47 ties!
    It sounds all Christmassy at your place already - what a lovely homely post!
    Warm hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pin cushion is a beauty. We made some hexagon patchwork ones at craft club this week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post and beautiful pincushion, congrats!!
    Warm regards from Canary Island!!

    anillosybotones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Elisabeth and the pin cushion is gorgeous. We've not had any snow in the south of the UK yet but it's getting colder. I'm secretly envious that you've had snow already! Have a great weekend.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pincushion came so well I love it.for the ties your dad gave you what about a patch work cushion for you dad x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's PERFECT!!! SO cute - LOVE the bright pink with the white pins. Love those cookies and that delightful coaster up top, too...Mom did great! Happy Friday - XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Qué coincidencia, mi última entrada también ha sido un alfiletero, sólo que el mío reciclado.
    Me gusta el tuyo. Te ha quedado muy lindo.
    Bss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pincushion, and the coaster Mum made you, beautiful! Especially liked the mug you were using, very intrigued about that. We call them Kelloggs Corn Flakes here in Australia :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely things Elizabeth, the cookies look so lovely I wouldn't want to eat them, and the plate is so pretty they are on too. I love the coaster it does look intricate but so pretty. Well done on making the pin cushion a great gift idea too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cookies look so delicious and the pin cushion looks great, I'm going to have a go at this. Snow in Madrid?! Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the coaster and the pincushion both. The cookies are so pretty, I'd almost be afraid to eat them. I hope you've had a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elisabeth, I love that little pincushion! I have a pattern for one of these, but have yet to make one ... it's always been in the back of my mind. That coaster is really cute too! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The coaster reminds me a bit of dahlias!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...