Friday, November 22, 2013

Snowflakes and spindles

It's starting to feel very wintry here. I honestly really like this time of year and prefer colder days to hot ones. I am a total homebody and love nothing more than being at home with  my husband on a cold night :)
 
The change in weather has reminded me that Christmas is just around the corner. I've made two crochet gifts so far shawl one and shawl two :) But now I've started to make some decorations:
 
 
This is the first one.
 
A little snowflake taken from the book Beyond the square crochet motifs by Edie Eckman. This book is so great. There are so many great motifs to chose from, perfect to make a unique afghan. You've still got time to put in on your Christmas list for this year and hope Santa brings you a copy :)
 
I added some plastic beads to the snowflake to give it a bit more shine. The yarn is light blue cotton crochet thread size 5 with a thread of silver lurex running through it.
 
 
~
 
Does any one use any antique hooks for their work? I haven't crocheted with one but my mom showed me these 3 on my last trip home:
 
 
They belonged to her grandma.
 
The first two are retractable:

 
I'd never seen hooks like them before, They are so thin and delicate.

 
~
 
And here is my next project:
 
 
I was given a spindle and some beautiful roving. It is the perfect colour for me isn't it? My aunt chose it for me and she definitely knows what I like :)
 
It'll be the first time I use a drop spindle and I've been watching YouTube videos to get an idea of how they work but I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice or hints? I keep taking the roving out and wanting to start to make my own yarn with it but at the same time I don't want to mess it up!
 

 
 
~
 
Don't forget to stop by my giveaway! There are 5 days to go before I draw the winner of these 3 gifts:
 
 
Have a wonderful weekend!
 
x

22 comments:

  1. Lovely snowflake ! And beautiful crochet hooks !
    Have a nice and cozy weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I saw yesterday a crochet snowflake and thought I 'd be crocheting some soon. . . I also do this time of the year. . .
    Your vintage crochet hooks are just a treasure !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snowflake is so pretty and delicate. I love the hooks, I've never seen a retractable hook before. I have a hand spindle, but have never used it, so will watch with interest :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those crochet needles are to die for!
    Love your snowflake, it's perfectly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the snowflake, it is so pretty and delicate.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pretty snowfake, I have made two so far and the idea of using beads is lovely, it most certainly adds a little sparkle, just what we need at Christmas. I have seen old crochet hooks before, but don't own one and to be honest I am not sure I really want to use one either. I am really interested to see what you are going to do with this drop spindle, very new to me, it sure looks like you might be having fun figuring it all out. Good luck! Enjoy your weekend and staying in with hubby on these colder nights. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect snowflake. I have never used antique hooks but now I really, really want one! jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the snowflake so pretty, snowflakes are lovely as long as they are not the real ones, brrrrrrr! I love the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the shawls. Your friends are very lucky. ....and your snowflake is so well made. I keep promising myself I will make one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your crocheted snowflake, it's just beautiful! Good luck with the spindle x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely that you have those old crochet hooks which belonged to your grandma. I like the snowflake, it's very pretty and your roving is a gorgeous colour. We have extremely cold weather here in Essex and it's said to be getting colder too. Brrrrr x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the snowflake its pretty and dainty xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made some of these last year and they do look lovely on the tree, I also made a few to give to friends for gifts. I wouldn't have a clue on how to use the spindle but would be really interested to learn how so I hope you show us once you have it figured. I really love the colours, my favourites too. thank you for showing us the hooks how very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Those old hooks are amazing! I've never seen anything like them. And definitely know I would not be able to crochet comfortably with them. Your snowflake is lovely. Good luck with spinning the yarn. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your pretty little snowflake Elisabeth and am very interested in knowing more about 'spindling and roving' as this is a new thing for me; I adore the colour of your 'roving' and will be watching out for your next instalment on the subject! How wonderful that your Mum has her Grandma's old hooks - they are quite different to the modern versions aren't they but beautiful in their own way.
    Wishing you lots of cosy nights at home with hubby - hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the snowflake too, reminds me of winters in the UK when I was little. Shame we dont have any snow here! thanks for showing your heirloom hooks too! the modern day ones are so plain arent they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH I love the snowflakes and the antique hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your snowflake is so pretty! I love the vintage/inherited crochet hooks that you have, so special for you to be able to work with them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your pretty snowflake Elisabeth and the vintage crochet hooks are sooo cool!
    I have a drop spindle - and have had a few tries at making yarn - the first few came out very chunky! I watched loads of videos and read a lot of articles - and eventually got a sort of rhythm - just like crochet everyone seems to have their own style!
    Your pinky roving is beautiful. You could experiment with some less precious or natural coloured fibre first - then move onto your fave colour! Also make sure you start by sitting down and have a soft landing for the spindle! There's a button on my blog that links to Sara's Texture crafts - she spins and sells fibre - but you may have somewhere more local to you, or maybe the maker or seller of the spindle might give you some tips.
    Its often exciting to go to a class too - meet like minded spinners and get some handy tips direct from an expert!
    For me its a case of just having a go, making all those initial mistakes, and then something clicks - I still make mistakes but when you see some spun yarn its such a reward!
    I hope to get my spindle back out after the Christmas rush.
    Look forward to seeing your very own wool! All the best and Have fun!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know, Elisabeth - those old hooks ROCK, but look like they probably weren't the most comfortable to use, at the same time. I love them...and your snowflake - the tiny beads at the points are perfect! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ciao, ottimo lavoro... se passi da me c'è una sorpresa per te...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...