Wednesday, June 4, 2014

WIP Wednesday

Hi Everyone!
 
How are you all? I hope you're all very well and feeling crafty :)
 
I have been away from my blog and all your lovely blogs for quite a while but I'm back and over the next few days I'm going to start catching up with all your lovely makes blog by blog.
 
~
  
Here is something I bought recently, a cute layer cake, fabric and bias binding.


 
 
The layer cake is called color me happy by Moda Fabrics.
 
I've been wanting to try a big sewing project for a while now and after seeing so many wonderful creations online I decided it was time to give it a go so I jumped right in and started my first ever quilt:
 
 
 
 
I made  triangles and squares.....
 

 
 
Cut pieces, matched them to others.....
 

 
 
I had sore muscles in my arms from so much cutting and sewing but it was all worth it when I finally had the basic lay out of a quilt top:
 

 
 
I sewed it all together, ironed it and here it is waiting to be pieced together with the batting and quilted:
 

 
 
I am SO happy with my work! I feel like I really know how to use my sewing machine now and I can't wait to get the batting (I'm collecting it tonight!!!) and try quilting.
 
~
 
In May we visited my family back in England and went to Birmingham for a day to see one of my old university friends who lived in the city.
 
 
 
 
We met at the new library there. Isn't the facade lovely? I see ideas for crochet patterns all over the place, in nature and architecture, and with this building I thought it would be great to try and recreate it in some of my crochet. What do you think?
 

 
 
The library is spaced over four floors and has gardens with amazing views on the higher floors. It was so pretty and full of people enjoying it.
 
You can find out more about the library at their website.
 
I saw this outside of a shopping centre in Birmingham too:
 

 
 
I thought it was so funny!
 
~
 
Here in Madrid, I've been getting into the routine of going to the Retiro Park every time I go into the city centre.
 
It is a huge park, 1 180 000 m2, with all kinds of amazing vegetation:
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
A lake:
 

 
 
Ducks:
 
 
 
 
 
And if you look in the middle of the heart in this photo:
 

 
 
you'll see that there are even cats in the park!
 
I love cats and couldn't believe it when I saw one in middle of such a huge park. I googled it later and it turns out there are over 400 feral cats living in the park and there is a charity that cares for them.

  
~
 
Wow! It feels good to be back, I'd really missed writing posts :)
 
Have a wonderful day everyone!
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Welcome back Elisabeth, it's lovely to see you again. Enjoyed this post and seeing your stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, your yarn winder thing looks bliss to use. Your first attemp at a quilting is quite professional, looks really good x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to have you back again and to know that you have been having such a good time while you have been away! Your quilt is lovely, I hope that you keep enjoying the making of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola de nuevo.
    Me ha encantado ver la bobinadora. Me recuerda a otros tiempos, pero veo que todavía está en auge, seguro que le sacas un gran partido.
    Y me parece preciosa la colcha, es un gran trabajo.
    Bss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice purchase ! Beautiful quilt and pictures !
    Glad you are back !
    Have a great day too !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to have you back !! I'm not blogging so often now, don't really find the time. . .and so Im much more on IG , I find it so quick and it can be done anywhere.

    Just the other day I was thinking about buying a yarn winder. . .

    It is great you have started your own quilt. . . I loved it when I made the tiny one for my daughter's doll, now I have been waiting a year to make a real size one, but will have to wait maybe until next winter. . .

    Have a great day !
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bienvenida de nuevo, es una ventaja tener una bobinadora, la colcha quedara monisima.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks super good.. nice pictures and lovely crochet wall decor. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Elisabeth, nice to see you again! I'm pleased to hear that you had a good time :-). Super that you got a yarn winder and swift, congratulations!! I hope I wll get some one day, too ;-). I can imagine that it's so much easier than by hand! Your quilt looks already very nice, great job :-). Also the crochet is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures from your trip! Greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizy thank you very much for following, you are the first one!!! For your valor you remain officially with the Godmother's title of our blog. Very good your works, that pretty to share! We hope that you continue visiting us.

    Elizy muchas gracias por seguirnos, eres la primera!!! por tu valentía te quedas oficialmente con el titulo de Madrina de nuestro blog. Muy buenos tus trabajos, que lindo compartir! esperamos que nos sigas visitando.

    Saludos desde Argentina
    Ariadna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you traveling allover and creating such beautiful project.
    glad you are back,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your back!! Looks like you got yourself some wonderful goodies!! enjoy! The Quilt looks Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt top. I am a great fan of the yarn cakes, I bought a vintage winder awhile ago and really enjoyed using it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely to have you back Elisabeth, I've missed you! You have been up to some really exciting things - love your wool winding, so neat; your gorgeous quilt top - am looking forward to seeing it completed and wish you the very best with it; and your wall-hanging is very pretty! I agree, that library facade offers all kinds of suggestions for craft, what a beautiful place that is! Happy weekend to you and yours, xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's only one word for that quilt, SPECTACULAR. Well done.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elizabeth.. What a great gadget.. Would love one of those winders.. My friend gave me a large skein of cotton which I have to wind. Just love the colours of the balls of yarn.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, you MUST be a ringer with the quilting thing, right? FABULOUS "first time" quilt - can't wait to see it finished...what a sense of accomplishment. And, aren't yarn swifts and winders just about the best things ever invented?!!! Your blog has put a smile on my face this HOT evening here in Vegas. Hope the week holds lots of kitties and wonders for you (love the geometric facade of the building you saw on your trip!). XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...